Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Thanking the Nostalgia Critic

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

I just finished see the Nostalgia Critic's review on The Purge.

And you won't believe the stuff that was going through my head before, during, and after seeing the review!


Before the viewing:
I was looking through the League of Super Critic's Youtube channel and saw that the Nostalgia Critic had a new review for this week. I see the title of the video starting with The Purge; and I was shocked by that.

Why? I heard that The Purge was a horror movie that many people saw, and that sparked so much controversy. And here, Nostalgia Critic had the guts to review such a movie; I was shocked by that. I was even scared by that, because normally the Nostalgia Critic would review stuff from the 90s, as well as what sparked so much popular and/or controversy. To me, that had to be ballsy.

During the viewing:
Some of the review was hilarious. Well, for one, Malcolm and Tamara had on those silly mouse ears the entire review; two, they got Rob Paulsen and Maurice LaMarche to do the voices of Pinky and the Brain; and three, Nostalgia Critic made fun of the movie's antagonist.
As far as consensus goes, I had to agree with the Nostalgia Critic. The ideas in that movie were stupid and pretentious. The movie was diabolical (even though I only saw the trailer for it, and not the actual movie). In fact, I was hesitant in seeing the movie myself, because I didn't like the premise or the ideas in that movie. But thank God Nostalgia Critic showed that the movie was too stupid and cheesy.
-Here's my suggestion for the Nostalgia Critic: since he's looking more into horror movies nowadays, I was wondering if he would look into The Possession (2012 film)-

I saw that movie and thought it was cheesy; I mean, it received a 40% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't know; just a thought.

After the viewing:
Even after the review was over, I was still shocked that the Nostalgia Critic reviewed The Purge. Even though I was shocked, I was also amazing, because he was brave enough to review such a movie. Well, this wouldn't be the first time that I felt that he was brave at reviewing certain movies. I felt the same way when he reviewed The Pebble and the Penguin and Swan Princess.
-You know, I was tempted to review Swan Princess for it trying to be like Disney; but Nostalgia Critic basically read my mind and delivered.
-As for The Pebble and the Penguin, both Nostalgia Critic and I gave our own consensuses on the film; however, I went further in depth on a certain seen from that movie. (Read my review for this movie (should be in April 2014 archive) to see what I mean.)
Anyway, I just want to thank Nostalgia Critic for reviewing The Purge. Reviewing the movie was brave; it was straightforward; and it was... I don't know, totally unexpected!

Whatsoever Critic
Sources:
Nostalgia Critic
The Purge
The Possession

Courtesy: Channel Awesome; Universal Pictures; and Lionsgate.

No comments:

Post a Comment