Thursday, July 3, 2014

"Waterfire Saga (Book 1): Deep Blue" Book Review

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

I was sitting and waiting in a hospital (Don't worry; I'm fine. I wasn't the patient). During that time of sitting and waiting. I had my nose stuck in a book (not literally). I didn't think I would finish reading this book. It's called Waterfire Saga. I had book 1 of the series, Deep Blue.

Weeks ago, I bought this book at a retail store. When I saw it on the stand in the book section of the store, I was curious, seeing how I'm pretty fascinated by mermaids. So I bought the book, and the next thing you know, I was reading it almost on a daily basis.
So how was this book? Well, seeing that this is the first book of the series, and seeing that some people haven't been exposed to this book yet (I assume), I'll give some of kind of a premise:
The story is about a mermaid princess who's supposed to become the next ruler of her mer kingdom; but all war breaks out when an enemy mer nation attacks her and her people on the day of the ceremony. Seeing that her and her kingdom are in a crisis situation, she must team up with her best friend, as well as discovered and other chosen mermaids to team up and save her world from evil.
Most of the story was well-paced and unique. The characters were identifiable. The literary language and imagery were consistent, as well as the plot device. However, it might have sparked a bit of concern. I don't know; the situation that the main character Serafina was in felt so real, that I questioned whether or not she should trust the people that she meets- that was in the back of my brain at those times.
Aside from the characters being identifiable, the lead had noticeable character development. And that's a good thing, because characters, especially the lead(s), need to learn a lesson and/or have some sort of transformation in order to resolve a conflict. With that said, with the characters being identifiable and all, they become so memorable that you want to see the hero succeed, and the villain to either wise up and surrender or be rightfully punished.
But sure, most of the characters may need some time to remember; but the book makes up for that by providing a glossary at the end of the book.
-(pause) Convenient?
Other than that, this book was a good read. I heard that the sequel would come out in 2015. Why is that? Well, every good book starts with good planning and good use of the writing process: prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publishing. In other words, nobody should rush art or, in this case, a good story.

Whatsoever Critic
Source: Waterfire Saga (Book 1): Deep Blue

Courtesy: Jennifer Donnelly/Disney-Hyperion

No comments:

Post a Comment