Monday, July 14, 2014

Editorial: "Rising Star" (Week 5) Duels Predictions

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.


Week 4 of Rising Star was the start of the duels between singers- 6 of the contestants put into groups of two to square off with whoever they're paired with. Before that episode aired, I made some predictions on who would advance to the next round. Was I right? Well, actually, I only got 1 out of 3 predictions right. So, with that said, I promised a story via vlog, which is currently in the making as we speak. (See? I make good on my promises. Well, if I hadn't before, then there's always a first time.)

So after a night of duels last night (7/13/14), the show gave us a new line-up:
Adam James vs. Austin French
April Lockhart vs. Sonnet Simmons
Macy Kate vs. Gabrielle Nicole
So, whom am I predicting to go onto the next round? Well, seeing that I got 1 out of 3 right last time, I'd figured I would try my luck on this next set of singers. Now choosing wasn't easy, because I had to listen to each performance more than once, so that I could fully lock in my predictions.

Adam James vs. Austin French
It took me a while to choose between these two. I mean, they're not bad. They sung powerful renditions to really good songs. However, I felt that Austin French brought more to the table than Adam James did.

I think having a guitar would be one edge that Austin French would definitely take advantage of, besides the voice projection. Plus, this wouldn't be his first rodeo with the singing and playing, seeing that he's part of a ministry.

Adam James, though, gets his inspiration from his late father, and wants to play for his father. I think that's what would keep this guy going, even after Rising Star. So, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the last time that we see him.

My prediction: AUSTIN FRENCH

April Lockhart vs. Sonnet Simmons
This pairing-of all three pairings that's been scheduled for Week 5- was the hardest one. I'll admit that I was afraid that this one would turn out to be another "Jesse Kinch vs. Will Roth" incident, where someone anonymous would comment and say that I was "absolutely" wrong about so-and-so. But I went for my prediction anyway.

April Lockhart was very good on her first performance on Rising Star. She looked promising, despite the fact that she has a disability with her arm, which was something that everyone took as a sign that she could still do great things.
However, as far as voice goes, both April and Sonnet Simmons had the talent. That was what made it so hard to choose, because they both sounded great.

Nonetheless, though, I finally decided to put my prediction towards Sonnet Simmons, because I felt that she was more daring and theatrical. In her first performance on Rising Star, she hit those high notes really well. I don't know; something about her says that she could possibly be the next Adele.
Now, to be fair, April Lockhart may still have a chance with her singing career, whether she moves on in Rising Star or not.

My prediction: SONNET SIMMONS

Macy Kate vs. Gabrielle Nicole
After watching both of these performers, I was momentarily stuck between these two powerhouse singers. However, I had to say that Macy Kate sounded more promising.

You may remember Macy Kate as the performer who was hand-picked from the audience on the night of premiere to sing a song in order to raise the wall... in which she did, by outscoring the other performers. Plus, Macy Kate is no stranger to Youtube, because just look her up and see that she really wants this (This was also revealed on the show).

Gabrielle Nicole, on the other hand... she can sing really well, but here's my remedy: if she can outdo Macy Kate with the theatrics and the audience-engagement, then she would've been a stronger pick for me.

My prediction: MACY KATE

Now that my predictions for Week 5 of Rising Star are displayed here, I will now make some proclamations, just as I did last time:
1. If all my predictions are correct, then I will do a review on the Barney In Concert video.
2. If 2 out of 3 predictions are correct, then I will tell you another story via vlog.
3. If 1 out of 3 predictions are correct, then I will do a review on Madeline: Lost In Paris.
4. If all my predictions are wrong, then I will review the Penguins of Madagascar: Dr. Blowhole Returns... Again! video game (Nintendo DS version).
So, just like last time, this is all opinion-based; and I wish every performer the best of luck to them next week on Rising Star.

Whatsoever Critic
Source: Rising Star

Courtesy: Ken Warwick & Nicole Yaron/ Keshet DCP

No comments:

Post a Comment