Monday, July 7, 2014

Editorial: "Rising Star" (Week 3) & My Predictions for Start of Singing Duels (Week 4)

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

Week 3 of Rising Star (7/6/14) was said to be the final live auditions until the singing duels.

So, how did Week 3 fair?
Well, to be fair, this episode was more emotional than the first two. I don't know; the back-stories of these performers were inspirational, very so that it either benefited the performers or made them just another passing Cinderella-story.

But by far, the most inspirational performer had to be Karen Hornsby, a stay-at-home mom who has a daughter who's blind and can't talk because of brain cancer.

She sang "To Love You More," and she was able to score an 82% with her heart-filled performance. Her performance was one of the ground-breaking performances ever made on this show.

Now that America is preparing for Week 4, which is the start of the singing duels, the show gives us the line-up:
Jesse Kinch vs. Will Roth
Sarah Darling vs. Megan Tibbits
Lisa Punch vs. Alice J. Lee

Now the big question is: Who, in each pair-up, would advance to the next level? Well, today I'm going to share with you my predictions on who would succeed and who would go home. Now, just to let you know, I had to listen to these performers over and over on Youtube to make my choices. Plus, these predictions are all based on opinions; and, near the end of this blog post, I'll tell you what I may or may not do, based on my accuracy.

So let's get started!

Jesse Kinch vs. Will Roth
I have to admit: choosing between these two male performers was difficult, because they both sung great. Both of these guys stole the audience's votes. Both of them went all out in their performances. But by far, I have to put my prediction towards Will Roth.

Jesse Kinch was a great singer. But, to be fair, it's obvious that he would work best with metal rock. If he were to attempt another music genre, then he might be disappointed.

Will Roth, on the other hand, would be the better pick, because he's sophisticated; he's outgoing; and he sounds like he can sing in almost any genre. I think that's what the audience and experts (Brad Paisley, Kesha, and Ludacris) would most likely go for in this competition.

Prediction 1: WILL ROTH

Sarah Darling vs. Megan Tibbits
Choosing between these two was probably the second easiest, out of all three pairings for the first set of singing duels.

Sarah Darling... God bless her. I know she's trying to make something of a music career. We know she's trying hard to launch a singing career. However, I just feel that the song-choice wasn't something to showcase on the first performance that one would give us during the audition episodes. Even some of the experts told her that the song-choice was questionable, because it almost failed to showcase what she could really do to win over the audience.
Anyway, I decided to put more of my faith into Megan Tibbits.

Well, for starters, she almost didn't make it to the next round. I mean, if it hadn't been for the West Coast that saved her, she would've gone home. Plus, she showcased more than just singing; she also exhibited use of an instrument, which was perfectly executed with her singing. So, to see and hear the vocals and harp mashed up with each other in the performance was a delight.

Prediction 2: MEGAN TIBBITS

Lisa Punch vs. Alice J. Lee
Of all three pairings for this time around, this one was simple. Lisa Punch. Yep. My money is on Lisa Punch (not that I'm betting real money, because again, this is all based on opinion).
Why not Alice J. Lee?

First of all, look at the body language when she's doing her performance. I just wasn't getting that vibe, and neither did Brad Paisley, who was the only expert, out of all three, to vote "No." Second, she sung Lady Gaga's "You and I"- all I'm thinking about is: Okay, is Lady Gaga herself going to pop out of nowhere and join her in the song? Lastly, in general, I just thought she was trying too hard. Rule of thumb: if you want to succeed in the competition, fine. But first, you have to be true to yourself.

The reason why I'm leaning towards Lisa Punch, because I feel that she can take a song and make it a hit. In her performance, she started with an easy-going pace. Then, as time went on, she executed a great transition from easy-going to bringing-the-house-down fun. I would like to see more of that in the future; and hopefully, she uses that strategy when she goes up against Alice J. Lee.

Prediction 3: LISA PUNCH

And those were my predictions for Week 4. Will I be right? Will I be wrong? Will I get some of them right? Or will I get all of them wrong? Who knows? I'm not psychic.
So, with that said, I would like to make some proclamations.
1. If all three predictions are correct, then I will do a review on the Penguins of Madagascar: Dr. Blowhole Returns... Again video game (Nintendo DS version).
2. If I get 2 out of 3 predictions correct, then I will do a review on the Barney In Concert video (even though I had promised, on one of the vlogs, that I would be working on that review).
3. If I get 1 out of 3 predictions correct, then I will tell you a story via vlog. (I'm not sure what story to tell you, but I'll get it figured out before next Sunday, when Week 4 of Rising Star comes around.)
4. If all of my predictions are wrong, then I will do a review on Madeline: Lost In Paris.

The reason why I'm making these proclamations, is... Well, it's just something for me to do, since this summer has been slow, and I don't go back to school until this coming August. So, again, this is all opinion-based. And, may the best singer advance to the next level of Rising Star.

Whatsoever Critic
Sources:
Rising Star
Examiner.com

Courtesy: Ken Warwick & Nicole Yaron/Keshet DCP

No comments:

Post a Comment