Friday, June 20, 2014

"Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 1" Book Review

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

I was looking through my bookshelf and came across a manga book called Nightschool: The Weird Books, created by Svetlana Chmakova. 

This was one of the graphic novels that I grew interested in, besides the manga adaptation of the Maximum Ride series. Why do I like this book? Well, let's take a look.

The book centers around a girl named Alex, who is a Weirn. A weirn is someone that possesses a powerful magic and is part of a mysterious prophecy. Anyway, Alex prefers to be homeschooled, while her wacky older sister Sarah works as the new night keeper at the Nightschool, which is really an ordinary school during the day but until nightfall. It isn't until Sarah turns up missing during her shift that Alex starts to suspect foul play coming from the school. So she decides to investigate her sister's disappearance, even though mean students and a secretive group called the Hunters are on to her.

That was Volume 1 of the series. I only have this book, but I'm so eager to get the rest of the series to find out. So, how would I grade this?

Well, like I said before, I don't have all the books to this series, but it's still very clear that this is a must-read. The story may shift several times, but at least it's somewhat consist in the storytelling. However, the most dominate part of the book is obviously the illustrations. As with all graphic novels, illustrations usually speak louder than words, because they convey most of the actions. (But word of advise: never substitute reading with a graphic novel. That's just lazy.)
Another thing that I liked the most was the comic relief. Yeah, you can totally see some comic relief in Alex's relationship with her big sister, and her relationship with her pet Astral (a ghost-like, eel-like creature, which is yet to be explained until...  I guess later on in the series (?)). In both relationships that Alex is in, the comic foil is there. 
Lastly, it curbs my hunger for fantasy. If you're a fantasy-lover, then you will be satisfied here. It has people with magic, occassional vampires, mystery, and a hint of suspect. However, don't let all those gimmicks get to you, because the story may need some work, especially if it feels like chess-piece storytelling. Plus, why doesn't this story convey more emotions? That would be a plus for the illustrations. (Maybe show, not tell?)

Aside from that, the book was an interesting read. But again: don't substitute graphic novels for real chapter books.

That was my book review. Now, get ready! Because it's that time again: another Mystery Review! Here's your first clue:

Ocean

Know what movie I'm going to review? Or do you think you know? Post a comment!

Whatsoever Critic
Source: Nightschool: The Weirn Books

Courtesy: First Yen Press Edition (April 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment