Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Playhouse Disney- Review of My Childhood (part 5)

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

Welcome to the final part of my review on Playhouse Disney. I will cover the final shows that came around, before Playhouse Disney decided to change its name to Disney Junior and commit suicide by offering strange and mediocre material mixed with good material. So let's get started.

Imagination Movers

Just another band that comes and goes like a passing trend... or is it?

Well, I didn't find myself interested in this show at first, but something about them would've made them last longer as a standalone boy band. I mean, they shared some good chemistry as friends; they sang some pretty good songs; and they had some memorable characters like Warehouse Mouse, who had his spin-off short shows that played in between shows.

Hopefully, this show gets a reboot or becomes retro.

My Friends Tigger and Pooh

This was the show where the Winnie the Pooh franchise wanted to try its hand on CG-animation. Did it work?

Well, some people found it cute; others saw it as something else that Playhouse Disney threw at the wall to see if it would stick. It's forgettable; it's kinda vague; and I prefer The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh over this spin-off show.

Special Agent Oso

Now this show came pretty close to making Playhouse Disney more popular. I mean, I love the G-rated-James-Bond type of scenarios, when it's to just help a kid know how to do tasks that kids would have to learn in the future.

I love the colorful characters that the show has: Oso (the main character), Paw Pilot, Wolfie, Dotty, and Buffo (who was voiced by Brad Garrett until they gave the role to Jess Harnell).

If there was one thing I liked about the show was that there was this one time that they did a crossover special with Handy Manny, which was pretty cool.
-It's like LarryBoy crossing over with Penguins of Madagascar. (It's an idea from FanFiction- look it up.)
The scenarios were interesting; the show was engaging; and it had a catchy theme song.

Jungle Junction

Just like Special Agent Oso, this show has a catchy theme song.
Besides the song, the show itself was interesting.

It had colorful characters; a pretty good set-up; and surprisingly good animation and story.

The characters themselves were very creative, because they were part-animal and part-vehicle, which was very impressive, especially for a kid that has a really good imagination.
-Enough said. This show should be shown more on Disney Junior.

Chuggington

-Out of the way, Thomas the Tank Engine! Meet the new face of talking trains!
Yeah, that was what I was thinking when I first saw this show.

Chuggington was one of Playhouse Disney's wonderful, creative shows ever to be conceived. Just like Special Agent Oso and Jungle Junction, this show was inventive and colorful: the characters, the writing, and the scenarios.
-Plus, the catchy theme song...
This was where Playhouse Disney finally made the effort to keep the popularity going, until it's inevitable decline, which would later be known as... Disney Junior.

So, my review on Playhouse Disney is drawing to a close. However, how would I grade Playhouse Disney? Well, it doesn't deserve to be graded?
I mean, with all the shows that either got more attention or felt more passe, they were supposed to be something that kids would look forward to during the day. But to be fair, I wished that most of the shows were just enough to be classic and never go away- or at least, let most of them be retro by airing them all the time on Disney Junior.
-Trust me; adding stuff that's retro to what you already have would give you ratings, Disney Junior! THINK!

Whatsoever Critic
Sources:
Imagination Movers
My Friends Tigger and Pooh
Special Agent Oso
Jungle Junction
Chuggington

Courtesy: Penn/Bright Entertainment/Zydeco Productions; Walt Disney Television Animation; Spider Eye Productions; and Ludorum pic/BBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment