Thursday, June 26, 2014

PBS Kids- Review of My Childhood (part 5)

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

Today I turned 21. And what a great way to celebrate my birthday by rapping up my review on PBS Kids-the way I saw it when I was a kid. These are the final shows that were able to keep me interested until it started to go downhill... not that it hasn't done downhill already.

The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!

The Cat in the Hat is back in this educational show about him taking a boy and a girl on educational adventures...

-Well, why not? If The Lorax movie can get away with trying to reach to the mainstream, instead of appealing to everyone... AND be hypocritical on "saving the trees," perhaps The Cat in the Hat could top that.
Most of the series is a bore, because... I don't know- the scenarios?
-I mean, why not give us more imaginative scenarios?
Well, if you like the Cat in the Hat, good for you. But I don't think this show is paying any homage to Dr. Seuss at this time.

Wild Kratts

When I first saw this show, I was kinda interested, but then again, not interested.

I mean, these were the Kratt brothers- the same guys that gave us Zoboomafoo- now being reduced to this. Like, I have no problem with animation, but... why the Kratt brothers?

This was just... out of their comfort zone. This was new, but it was definitely uncharted territory for them.
-Why not give us back Zoboomafoo?

So what's my consensus on PBS Kids? Well, seeing that most of the content was more educational than Playhouse Disney, did PBS Kids lose its magic?
Well, to be fair, PBS wanted to get more audiences, seeing that the TV network is a non-profit public broadcaster. In fact, throughout the years, PBS would face obstacles when it came to being funded, even having fundraiser to stay on the air. But you know it's for a good cause- to keep children educated, and that's a good thing. However, PBS has to learn  that the only way to keep its audience and support is to provide the public something worth watching and something worth remembering and saying, "I wish they would make this show retro."

Whatsoever Critic
Sources:
The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!
Wild Kratts

Courtesy: Collingwood O'Hare Productions/Portfolio Entertainment, Inc./Random House Children Entertainment/Treehouse TV and 9 Story Entertainment/Kratt Brothers Company

No comments:

Post a Comment