Sunday, June 1, 2014

"The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" Book Review

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

I look back at my Spring semester, and I remember a book that really spoke to me. Well, not because I was required to read the book, but because it spoke to me in a way that I found myself choking back sobs and fighting back tears. That was the impact that this book has made on me. I'm talking about The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

This book was written by Kate DiCamillo, the same author that brought you Because of Winn-Dixie and The Tale of Despereaux. This tale offered innocent but then shatters it every once in a while. It provides a sense of hope, but at the very end. But is all of this worth the waiting for the journey to be over? Is it worth learning the lesson by showing depressing and heart-breaking story? Let's find out.

The story is about a china-rabbit doll that's owned by a girl named Abilene, who's in a wealthy family. The doll was given by the girl's grandmother who seems sorry for the rabbit for not knowing love when he sees it- Abilene loves him, but he thinks nothing of it.
One day, Edward falls off a boat during a vacation cruise, and he spends nearly a year underwater until a storm moves him to get caught by a fisherman, who immediately takes him in to show his wife.

The old couple take him in, and have him wear dresses, because they think that he's a girl rabbit. From every incident/event, Edward is passed on from person to person; and during this journey, he sees how people love him, no matter who they are. Sooner or later, he gets smashed into pieces by an angry diner manager. He is then fixed up by a doll mender and is put on sale in his doll shop.

During his stay in the shop, he finally has the nerve to open his heart and wait for someone to find him, and ultimately love him.

...Since I read the book already, I won't spoil the ending.

So how does this book fair?

Well, I wouldn't say that this is a great book. I mean, this book would make any sensitive person cry. When I first read this book, I had to choke back sobs, fight back tears, and pull myself together before I found the courage to return to the book.
The theme, I think, was what spoke to me the most. The theme of the story is love.

Love from someone Edward knew, and love from random strangers he meets that would take him into their lives. This really hits home for me, because I sometimes feel that I, as a person, take that for grant, because I have people that love me, and yet I act as if they don't. I feel that this book was a wake-up call for me, saying to acknowledge the people that love me and don't take it for granted. I think that was the message that DiCamillo wanted everyone to know.
Overall, this was a page-turner, but for a specific reason: because you want to know what happens to the main character and if he'll ever reach his goal or not. That plot device alone is what deems this story worthy of not putting down. It's that engaging. My advice is that if you're sensitive, then you may want to think about whether this is the best choice of book for you or not. This book, I believe, has no limitations when it comes to audience, but be aware that the message is powerful.

Whatsoever Critic
Source: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Courtesy: Kate DiCamillo- Candlewick Press

No comments:

Post a Comment