Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Editorial: What Happened To Mr. Nezzer?

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

I know that lately I've been going on and on about the Veggietales character Mr. Nezzer.

However, there's one thing that bugs me. So let me put this into perspective here.
In my three-part editorial of the Netflix series Veggietales In The House, I explained how and why the character Mr. Nezzer was replaced with another character.

However, looking at the last few appearances on Veggietales, you may notice that he's missing some hair and that he sometimes dresses more like an elderly person.

I just saw it as a progression, and suddenly had this thought: Did something happen to him? I mean, by now, some of us already know that Mr. Nezzer was booted off the show because creator Phil Vischer (a white guy) wasn't allowed to play a black stereotype, since that was apparently against the rules at DreamWorks.
-Seriously, look up the video on that debate.
-By the way, to this day, I'm still blown out of my ass upon learning that Mr. Nezzer was a black stereotype. I had never thought of that.
However, how would you explain Mr. Nezzer's termination to kids? What would you tell them? Would you tell them that Mr. Nezzer died of cancer?
-That may seem likely, because over time in the regular Veggietales series, he lost some hair, or just went completely bald. One may think that as chemo-therapy. Others might say that he's simply aging.
Or, would you tell them that he quit his job?
-I think not.

So, looking at this issue as if we were in the Veggietales universe itself, what happened to Mr. Nezzer? Well, that's pretty much open for debate.

The regular Veggietales series doesn't really explain what has happened to Mr. Nezzer. And not once, I don't think, did any of the characters look us in the eye and say that he died or got fired from the show.
-Trust me. This show wouldn't do that. If they did, then that would be a controversy that would surpass that of the Rack, Shack, and Benny video.

(Refer to "The Bunny Song," and how many times it had to be edited, due to the angry letters from viewers.)
Since the show itself gives no set-in-stone explanation to what really happened to Mr. Nezzer that the rest of the characters may be concerned, it's basically open for any theory.

Whatsoever Critic
Sources:
Veggietales In The House
Veggietales

Courtesy: Big Idea/DreamWorks

2 comments: