Sunday, December 28, 2014

Whatsoever Critic's Screw Ups of 2014

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

As 2014 is coming to a close, I want to set the record straight. I'm not perfect. I'll say things in this blog that would lead to slap-in-the-face results. However, understand that I have my opinions, which is why I'm bringing back balance by admitting the mistakes and screw-ups that may or HAD made on this blog before we reach 2015. So this is my Top 10 screw-ups.

10. Delays on embedding uploaded videos onto my blog
Besides having a blog, I also have a Youtube channel, where I upload videos and then embed them onto my blog. Most of the time, I won't embed videos until a day or two after they've been uploaded onto Youtube. Please understand that I am one person doing all of this, and that I try my best to get things out as soon as possible.
-I recently uploaded a video that I haven't embedded onto my blog yet (the "What I Would Say To LarryBoy" video). I'm still trying to get that out on my blog, but it's still available on Youtube, if you haven't seen the video.

9. I sometimes misspell Scott Cawthon's name.
Yeah, misspelling words and names is the usual pet peeve on this blog. I wish I can go back and fix all the spelling mistakes, but I always have time to fix some. So if you spot spelling mistakes, don't make a big fuss about it. Most people misspell.
This was common whenever I mention the Five Nights at Freddy's franchise, where I talk about Scott Cawthon. I sometimes misspelled Cawthon. I'll try not to make that mistake again.

8. I was kind of hard on the octopus villain from the 2014 Penguins of Madagascar movie.

As much as I didn't like some of the payoffs in that movie, I really have nothing against the villain Dr. Octavius Brine (Dave), other than he's not Dr. Blowhole. I mean, Dr. Blowhole would've made a better villain, because he's more familiar than this guy. Just saying...
-This is coming from a Dr. Blowhole fan. No disrespect to DreamWorks, but seriously. Come on. Dr. Blowhole should've been in that movie.

That's what I believe in.

7. Am I REALLY going to re-review some movies that I've already reviewed?
I've looked back at the archives and saw my blog post entitled "Top 5 Reviews That I Would Like To Rethink." I thought about re-reviewing, but felt that the creativity wouldn't make a big of an impact as it did when I first reviewed the movie(s).
So, instead of re-reviewing the selected movies, I'm just going to write opinionated articles about them. It's kind of like Nostalgia Critic's "What You Never Knew About..." videos, but only my opinions and me pointing out things that people may have overlooked.
Plus, remember my "Coming Soon In 2014..." blog post? (If you haven't, check it out now.) I know I've promised reviews; however, since I'm a college student and is always busy in my writing, I was only able to review 4 out of the 10 movies that I mentioned on that blog posts.
But don't worry; the movies that I have promised you but haven't gotten out yet will come.
-I probably won't review A Nightmare on Elm Street after all, because I wasn't aware of it's original version (not the reboot), until recently, when I saw Cinema Snob's review on the original. But either way, reviews will still be coming out.

6. Bonnie is a unisex name

You may remember my rant in the Five Nights at Freddy's reviews on criticizing the character bunny's name. It turns out that I was right and wrong. But let's start with the wrong first. I was wrong in the following way:
-I recently looked up the name Bonnie on the Internet, and found out that it was both a girl's name and a boy's.
However...
I was right in some way. I was right in criticizing the name choice, because I also learned on the Internet that the name was outdated, and was rare in giving to a person.
-I agree that the name is outdated... for a guy. I mean, one would find it very rare to find a guy that had a name like Bonnie.

Anyway, Scott Cawthon can name his characters anything he wants. That's what's creative of storytelling and video games.

5. There are 10 animatronic characters, NOT 7 (Five Nights at Freddy's 2)

I remember saying in my Five Nights at Freddy's 2 reviews saying that there were 7 animatronics coming to get the player. I never thought of the other 3 characters, which were the older models of Freddy, Bonnie, and Chica. After seeing other people play this game on Youtube, I started to see the truth of how many animatronics there were in the game. But those reviews were written when I first started playing the game.

-So, there were more animatronics than I thought there were... Miscounted? I guess...

4. Was my Nitpicking segment a mistake?
I know I've experienced backlash from this segment in the past.
-I deleted those comments, due to the courtesy of other readers.
However, I am entitled to my opinion until the end of time. I believe it. However, I'll try not to upset some of you. New year, new outlook.

3. I was hard on Junior Aspargus.

How? In my review and editorial of The League of Incredible Vegetables, I criticized heavily on the character Junior Asparagus, because he ultimately saved the day in that movie, when it should've been LarryBoy to begin with.

What that movie did was have LarryBoy take a backseat, while they built up a kid that's evidently caused trouble in the previous LarryBoy adventures (ex. Fib from Outer Space and Rumor Weed). 
-I mean, is that who you would want to save the day?


A boy hero that gets a pass on lying and telling dangerous rumors?
I also felt that way about the decision to make Junior a superhero, because I was already used to LarryBoy; I already had my heart set on LarryBoy- nothing was going to change about that.

I don't see Junior as superhero material; otherwise, just call him discount-LarryBoy, because it won't work out for me; I'm sorry.
I don't want to be too hard on Junior Asparagus, but realize what they did to LarryBoy in that movie. Was it worth it?

2. Did my WORST Christmas Specials list upset some of you?
I had to come out on Christmas specials, because it's a constant argument around the holidays when it comes to specials. If you think Hallmark Channel's spewing out Christmas movies a millisecond every year is bad, then the specials that I had topped off as "worst" is the big parade for it.
I wasn't BS-ing when I said that I didn't like a special. It's my opinion. I'm pretty sure that some of you were agreeing or disagreeing; we're all entitled to our own opinions. That's just the way it is.

1. Predicting Will Roth over Jesse Kinch (ABC's Rising Star)

The biggest backlash that I've ever received in Whatsoever Critic history is during my reviews of Season One of Rising Star. I was doing predictions on who would go on to next round. I wanted the predictions to be for fun, not to say "You're wrong" or "You don't know what you're talking about."

Nonetheless, I had received an angry comment from an annoymous commentator, saying that I was wrong about Jesse Kinch, because he was in competition with another contestant (Will Roth),

and I was leaning more towards Roth on who would move on in the challenge.
To be brutally honest, I thought both singers were great. In fact, this was one of the predictions that I had a hard time choosing in. There were times that I had to flip a coin to just make a decision. But please also understand that I like variety. Today is about variety. Just look at Taylor Swift; she went from country to pop within a few years, and many people still like her. That's variety.
Anyway, what's done is done. The post is already published, so it wouldn't make any sense to change it, because they were predictions. And besides, Jesse Kinch ended up winning the competition, so that's good news for whoever said I was wrong.
But I ask of you: please forgive and forget.

And that was my Top 10 Screw-Ups. Hopefully in 2015, there will be more reviews and editorials to come!

Whatsoever Critic
Sources:
Penguins of Madagascar (2014 movie)
Five Nights at Freddy's
Five Nights at Freddy's 2
The League of Incredible Vegetables
LarryBoy and the Fib from Outer Space
LarryBoy and the Rumor Weed
Rising Star (ABC)

Courtesy: DreamWorks Animation; Scott Cawthon; Big Idea/DreamWorks; and American Broadcasting Company/Keshet Broadcasting

No comments:

Post a Comment