Tuesday, December 9, 2014

WC's Christmas PART 3: Top 5 INDIFFERENT Christmas Specials!!!

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

Welcome to Part 3 of Whatsoever Critic's Christmas.

I've already listed the bad specials, and I've already listed the good. So, today I'm going to list... the specials I feel INDIFFERENT about. So, pull up a chair and get ready for my Top 10 Christmas Specials that I felt INDIFFERENT to.

5. Annabelle's Wish

I saw this special when I was little. We had this on VHS or something like that.
It follows a young cow that dreams of being like one of Santa's reindeer- she wants to fly, that is. She also befriends a boy named Billy that can't speak because of a family tragedy. Eventually, she helps Billy find his voice; and ultimately she gets rewarded with her wish.
-I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say that she gets rewarded.
I liked how Randy Travis had a lot to do with this movie. He was the narrator, one of the characters, and he sings some of the songs.
-Who does love Randy Travis songs?
For the movie itself, I was indifferent because it was original, although it was reported that it took up to 14 people to write this movie.
-This movie was apparently based on a short story by Dan Henderson. So why all the writers?
Plus, I felt that some of the content felt forced. I realize that it was trying to show emotion, but sometimes it's best to not have too much of it. Other than that, it succeeded in teaching the moral that Christmas should be more about giving than just receiving.

4. The Polar Express

Based on the book of the same book, The Polar Express was pretty impressive to watch. The animation was amazing. The acting was done well.
-Tom Hanks was pretty awesome. He played, I think, three different characters: the train conductor, the strange guy on the train top (who's apparently a ghost?), and Santa himself.
The reason why I was indifferent on this one is because I felt that it was really long. 
-I mean, what's the running time for this movie? (researching... 1 hour 40 minutes) I still felt it was long.
Plus, I couldn't help but get teary-eyed throughout most of this film, because the movie's message is crystal-clear: don't let the magic of Christmas die because you grew up. 
-And yes. I'm one of those people that tends to get emotional while watching movies like this.

3. Veggietales: Saint Nicholas- A Story of Joyful Giving

I was tempted to put this one on my list of the BEST Christmas specials, but instead, I put it in this list. Why? Well... I'll give you a walkthrough.
The special follows the Veggies gang trying to brighten the spirits of Laura Carrot who's father is struggling to keep his job after his delivery car breaks down, and a crabby mechanic won't have it fixed until after Christmas... when the father pays up.
Seeing this predicament, Bob and Larry gather the kids and tell them the story of how a guy named Nicholas became Santa Claus by giving to the needy. And...
-... I don't think I'm giving anything away when I say this...
...the Veggies gang come together to pay off the repairs for Laura's father's car, and Laura and her father are grateful.
I was indifferent on this one, because it felt like a Christian version of Rankin/Bass's Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, except there's no Fred Astaire and no Burgermeister Meisterburger, but Bob and Larry narrating, as well as a villain that one can point out and say, "Oh, that reminds of Burgermeister..." or "Oh, discount Burgermeister."
Anyway, this special was an "okay" special.

2. Veggietales: The Toy That Saved Christmas

Now I know that last year I did a review on this video and already gave my concensus on it. However, I can't help but be indifferent on this one.
-I think I felt that way in the review. I don't remember. If you haven't read that review yet, check it out.
I don't know; I just felt that it deserved the INDIFFERENT treatment.

1. The Little Drummer Boy and Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer (Rankin/Bass)
I decided to put both of these specials in the number one spot on this list, because...
-Well, not because they're both from the production company...
...but because both specials spoke to me. Were they good messages to me? Were they good lessons for me? Um... let's start with The Little Drummer Boy.

That one's about a boy forced into servitude for a con man, made to perform for hundreds of people after his parents die in a fire. He grows to hate grown-ups, because he felt that grown-ups were responsible for putting him into servitude. But when he comes across three wise men that are visiting the baby Jesus in the Nativity scene, the boy learns to let go of his emotions and famously play his drum for the Lord.
Coming back to that special as an adult, I couldn't help but emotional with this one, although I wasn't like that as a kid. The reason why that is, is because I understand the message that it's trying to tell: forgive and forget the wrong that people have done to you. I find it hard to forgive sometimes, but I'm still learning.
Moving on...

Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer... the story is basic: a misfit is made fun of; he runs away from home to find acceptance; he meets other characters that share his pain; he's called upon to save Christmas; he eventually saves Christmas; and he's finally accepted.
-Simple, right?
I was as indifferent as I was with The Little Drummer Boy, because it spoke to me. Growing up, I was avoiding this special, because it felt awkward: the scenario, the characters, and the quality. But after revisiting this special as an adult, I decided to give this one another try if it comes on on TV, because again... it spoke to me. Why? Because I felt the same pain as Rudolph did. We were both bullied when we were kids. We were both looking for acceptance among our peers and family. It was THAT relatable.
Overall, both specials felt indifferent, because they spoke to me in different ways to where it made sense to me.

And that's my INDIFFERENT list of Christmas specials. Stay tuned for more Whatsoever Critic's Christmas! The fun isn't over yet!

Whatsoever Critic
Sources:
Annabelle's Wish
The Polar Express
Veggietales
The Little Drummer Boy
Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer

Courtesy: Ralph Edwards Productions/Hallmark Entertainment; Warner Bros.; Big Idea; and Rankin/Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment