Saturday, December 13, 2014

WC's Christmas PART 4: Movies That'll Trick You Into Thinking That They're Christmas Movies!

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

Welcome to Part 4 of Whatsoever Critic's Christmas! Today I'm going to give you something that I like to call: Movies That'll Trick You Thinking That They're Christmas Movies. What that means is that I found some movies that throw in things that'll remind you of Christmas, but then you realize that they have nothing to do with Christmas; otherwise, the stories would've been written different. For this one, I don't think a countdown list is necessary. So, I'm just going to talk about them on a scale of importance.
I'm going to talk about 5 movies for this one.

Happy Feet

I'm not a huge fan of this one. I mean, sure, it's about penguins, a misfit penguin, and him ultimately saving his community...
-Wait. Is this another Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer scenario? Puh-lease! I've already talked about that special! Besides, I'm tempted to do a review on that special, if Nostalgia Critic isn't considering. I mean, he's already reviewed Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer. (So that's the least of my problems.)
Plus, I heard that this movie spawned a sequel, but no one's ever talked about it.

I guess people can be fooled by its use of the Antarctic and snow... and the fact that it may be a spit-in-the-face render in another penguin movie, which I will bring up later on in this blog post.

Toy Story

I'm not a big fan of this franchise either...
-Just saying...
What'll fool people into believing that this one's a Christmas movie is the ending scene, where the toys are listening to what their owner Andy is unwrapping for Christmas. 

Yeah, the snow outside the house, as well as the Christmas tree will have people thinking about the holidays, no matter what time of the year it is. In fact, this franchise is popular around the holidays, because it's played over and over on channels like Disney and ABC Family.
-By the way, is it weird to say that this movie franchise has gone overboard with its sequels. It's like The Land Before Time of Disney!

The Pebble and the Penguin

-Since I've already done a review on this movie, I won't dwell into it for long.
Let's face it... this movie features snow and the Antarctic in general.
-In fact, this was kind of (sort of) parodied in the recent Penguins of Madagascar (2014) movie... Just saying.
The reason this movie isn't much of a Christmas movie is because it was intended to be a love story...

-...despite its underwritten shortcomings and one-dimensional characterization on most of the characters except for the hero.
Plus, the characters' attire is mainly clothes that one would wear when it's cold. 
-Obviously, because they're in the Antarctic...
Also, at the end of the movie, the main characters (excluding the villain, because... well, not to give anything away here- let's just say he took a hard hit) are wearing Santa hats.
So, no.

Frozen

Yep, almost everyone knows this movie. Ever since its theatrical release last holiday season, this Disney movie has been a phenomenon that it's already a classic to the Disney canon. Its all over social media; it's popular in stores... and it may have outdid Pixar in some ways.
However, (no disrespect to this movie, but...) just because the movie depicts snow and features a person with magical winter abilities 

and a talking snowman, 

AND was released in theaters during the holiday season, doesn't make this movie a legitimate Christmas. For one, not once do you hear the word "Christmas" or see Christmas decorations (the snow flakes don't count). And plus, if this movie is seen all year round, that's another sign that this movie isn't a Christmas movie.
-I mean, who sees the Frosty the Snowman special during the summer? And would you see the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer special on Easter? It just won't seem right.
Anyway, I have pretty much nothing against this movie, other than to say: Don't be confused on its intentions. Just enjoy the movie.

The League of Incredible Vegetables

Now I know what you're thinking: Whatsoever Critic, why would you mention this LarryBoy adventure? What's that movie got to do with not being Christmas?!

First of all, look at this movie and tell me that it's not what you were expecting in a LarryBoy movie. What on earth is this? It's not like LarryBoy and the Bad Apple where there were these cool tall-building scenic backdrops. Just snow and winter attire... 

not to mention a scene with hot chocolate and cookies.

And just like The Pebble and the Penguin, I already did a review on this movie, so I won't go any further.

And that concludes Whatsoever Critic's Christmas. I hoped y'all enjoyed it. I apologize if Part 1 or any of the parts weren't to your liking. This is all opinion-based.

Merry Christmas! : )

Whatsoever Critic
Sources:
Happy Feet
Toy Story
The Pebble and the Penguin
Frozen
The League of Incredible Vegetables

Courtesy: Warner Bros., Disney/Pixar, Don Bluth, Disney, and Big Idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment