Thursday, April 9, 2015

"Don't Hug Me I'm Scared 3" Youtube Video Review

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

1 and 2 were pretty cool to watch. But what about the third?

If you were to ask your mother about what love is, and she only spewed out drunken nonsense to you for more than five minutes, then this is what she'll say... but in video form.
-Just a side note: I'm trying to get this review done, so that I can review Don't Hug Me I'm Scared 4, because that fourth one recently came out this past March (2015).
-And if you haven't seen me react to Don't Hug Me I'm Scared 4, then the links to the React video and the original video are below:

Reaction video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekNh01Uijrc

Original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9FGgwCQ22w

So let's get started! This is Don't Hug Me I'm Scared 3!

Opening:

The video opens with a missing persons poster of our three main characters... who are clearly NOT missing, because they partake in a picnic of... eggs and raw chicken legs.
-Why would the green bird be eating a chicken leg if he himself is a bird? Unless he's a buzzard or vulture, it isn't going to work!
-By the way, I looked up what these characters are in Wikipedia. I won't address them by what fans are dubbing them, because their names aren't confirmed by the show's creators yet.
Yellow Guy sees a butterfly and enjoys its presence, until Green Bird, like a dumbass, uses a fly-swatter to kill the butterfly.
Green Bird: "Pesky bee!"
-This guy can't tell the different between a butterfly and a bee. I mean, look at it! It's so obviously a butterfly!
This, of course, upsets Yellow Guy, and he runs away from the scene crying. 
Red Guy: "I wonder what would happen."
-(imitating Red Guy) My monotone voice won't give away the answer, so this statement is basically telling you to keep watching and find out.

Next Scene:
We see Yellow Guy crying until a large butterfly shows up and gives him words of comfort.
Butterfly: "It makes you sad, doesn't it?"

Yellow Guy: "A little baby pigeon..."
-Is it weird to say that all I'm focused on in this scene is what that "D" on his overalls means?
Butterfly: (singing) "Have you ever wondered why we're here?"
-By now, I'm used to the fact that the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared series has these inanimate objects (or creature, in this case) that sing to our main characters.
Butterfly: (singing) "...harmony."
("Harmony" spelled in the clouds like this: HARMUNEE)
-Why is "harmony" misspelled? That doesn't seem right.

Musical number continues...
So the butterfly takes Yellow Guy through the clouds, while girly My Little Pony backwash plays in the background. The colors swirl; the clouds talk; and CG effects reign supreme.

Yellow Guy: "What is love? Is it in the sky?"
Cloud: "No. It's a feeling deep inside."
Yellow Guy: "Because I'm hungry..."
Butterfly: (singing) "No, you're lonely. I can see it in your eyes."
So, where are our other main characters? Still at the picnic...

Green Bird: "Oh look! There he goes flying through the sky!"
He and Red Guy debate whether or not to catch up with Yellow Guy, but they eventually decide to stay and eat the eggs and chicken (which clearly has a fly on one chicken leg).
-Was the fly coincidence or on purpose?

The "love" world

Yellow Guy is then introduced to the other animals and people that live in this "love" world.
(Yellow Guy petting a furry animal)
Fury Animal: "He he, harder!"
-Okay, that was weird. Was that animal orgasming?

Back at the picnic...
The picnic is finished, and Green Bird and Red Guy finally decide to catch up with their friend.
Green Bird: "And we have finished the chicken picnic."
(Green Bird pauses)

-Line?
-He just stares into the camera, as if to say, "Uh, got any more lines for me? Or are you all just going to make me stand here like an idiot?"

Back at the musical number...
Yellow Guy learns more about love by loving everything in site.
Yellow Guy: "I love this tree, and I love this stick..."

But the butterfly tells him about saving one's love for that "special one"...

-...who looks like Wimzie (Wimzie's House) in 20 years...
and then a tree tells Yellow Guy a story about a boy named Michael.
-Now if you think that this short story will mean anything at all in this video, then take a listen to this:
Tree: (singing) "This is the story of Michael, the ugliest boy in town, ugly and weak. They called him a freak. He lived on his own underground. He lived on his own underground..."
-Wow, that short story made absolutely no sense whatsoever. What the purpose of having a story like that, when it was going to be a waste of time in the long run?
Then, the musical number takes this weird turnby talking about marriage, and then immediately segwaying into a love cult where people pay tribute to a large head statue named Malcolm...

-Why the statue is named Malcolm is beyond me...
...and Yellow Guy is tied up and subjected to a name-change, brainwashing, and a bizarre promise that he would never be alone...
-Uh... I'm scared(?) Come on! The scares in the first two videos were more memorable than this one!

Wrap Up:
So Yellow Guy eventually wakes up on the same tree branch...
-Did he fall asleep at some point? Or was this a forced deus ex machina, as if the writers said, "Oh, well, we really suck at talking about love, so we're just gonna end the show here."

Green Bird and Red Guy finally catch up with him and appologize for being mean earlier, and they present him with an egg.
Red Guy: "I guess it must be because we love you."
-(mimicking Red Guy) Here's a "fuck you" to Barney the dinosaur and his "I love you" song.
The video ends with an ugly worm popping out of the egg, before Green Bird whacks it with a flyswatter.

Green Bird: "Pesky bee!"
-Dude, look up what a bee looks like.

End Credits:
-I guess we'll end here, because they're just burning down the Malcolm statue. Again, screw this lesson about love.

And that's Don't Hug Me I'm Scared 3. So did it work?

Well, it almost did. However, of all the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared episodes to date, this one was the weakest. It almost worked, but it didn't have as much shock-value to it as the first two episodes. I mean, you can still give this episode credit for its usage of animation, and the subject matter. (Yeah, the bird and the hairy red guy were dicks, except for Yellow Guy). It even lends itself to having some character development: Yellow Guy isn't just a goofy character, but also naive.

Now I know this may not have been the best in the series, but next time, I'm reviewing something better. Here's your first hint until next time:

A person with an inanimate object

Whatsoever Critic
Source: Don't Hug Me I'm Scared 3

Courtesy: Becky Sloan and Joseph Pelling/Blink Industries

No comments:

Post a Comment