Thursday, February 12, 2015

Trailer Analysis: The Never-Before-Seen Trailer of "LarryBoy and the Rumor Weed"

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

As promised in my previous blog post, I'm here to give you my analysis on the never-before-seen trailer of LarryBoy and the Rumor Weed.


For me, I found out about this particular trailer two or three years ago when I was watching my DVD copy of the movie. When I first came across it, I was wondering if anyone else that watches Veggietales knows anything about this. Well, I know that this never-before-seen trailer is also on Youtube, but the full version of this trailer can be found only on the DVD.

When I first saw this never-before-seen trailer, I was a little amazed. In fact, it didn't have the same kind of quirkiness as any other Veggietales video. So let's get started.

Where To Find the Never-Before-Seen Trailer
Like I said before, this trailer can only be found on the DVD. It's hidden as an Easter egg on the DVD. And interestingly enough, it's not as hard to find it as you think.
When you get to the main menu soon after you start the DVD, just move the mouse arrow (or navigate your remote control buttons) to the menu options and move to the right of the option that says "Fun!" and you'll see a star.

(as demonstrated in this video here)

When you click on the star, it'll take you to the video where a person from Big Idea talks about the never-before-seen trailer. Note: If you want to see the never-before-seen trailer, you'll have to listen to the short interview first, so that they'll explain it more.
In the interview, Big Idea composer Kurt Heinecke explains that the trailer was done in one day, and commented that it was like scoring an actual movie.

This interview lasts for at least a minute, until it cuts to a disclaimer.

The disclaimer is self-explanatory.

Trailer Itself
The first thing you'll find out is that the voice-acting is in the work-in-progress stage, because like Heinecke said in his interview, the trailer was worked on in one day. Plus, the voice-acting didn't use any voice alterations, because the movie itself wasn't a finished product yet. So, the voices sound deeper and closer to the real-life voices of the actors themselves.
In this trailer, there's also no announcer. The trailer is explained through title cards. And to sweeten the "darkness" of the trailer, dramatic music is playing as the trailer progress. And to make the trailer look even more creepy... guess who emerges from the darkness in one clip!

-Yeah! Talk about creepy!

Imagine seeing this monster after watching this particular trailer!
After showing clips of the movie, you can hear LarryBoy say "Hasta la vista, weedy!" and then the movie's title abruptly comes on screen. It's there briefly until it's replaced by the word "July," which was when the movie was released to video (July 1999).

Analysis
Honestly, I don't see this as "dark" or anything. This trailer seems different from the one that's usually played in the previews in other Veggietales videos. I can tell that Big Idea had to take a step back and try again on creating a trailer, so that they wouldn't lose the kid audience.
-That's pretty much a good thing on their part, because why scare kids?
For me, this trailer didn't scare me. Even though I got a warning from both the short Kurt Heinecke interview and the disclaimer afterwards, it still wasn't scary. Sure, it sounded and looked strange, but for what it is, it's still worth mentioning to anyone that's a LarryBoy fan like me. I felt that it's my civic duty as a LarryBoy fan to share this with y'all.
So, I don't think there's much of a trailer, except to acknowledge that this is just Mr. Nezzer's "The Bunny Song" all over again, only we're not letting our kids sing "I won't go to church" and "I won't go to school."
Again, this trailer isn't scary. It was a little too dark to be released to the world, but it's still not scary. In fact, this trailer didn't even reach suicidemouse.avi standards. So there's nothing to worry about.
So to review, the banned trailer of LarryBoy and the Rumor Weed can be found on the main menu of the DVD. Move your mouse or the remote control to the star, and then you'll see the trailer.

Whatsoever Critic
Source: LarryBoy and the Rumor Weed

Courtesy: Big Idea

No comments:

Post a Comment