Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Top 10 Overlooked Things in "For The Honor of LarryBoy"

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

Earlier this month, I posted a review on the Veggietales In the House episode, "For The Honor of LarryBoy."

If you haven't seen it yet, it's in this month's archive (February 2015).
Anyway, today I'm here to bring you my Top 10 things that were overlooked in this LarryBoy adventure. Trust me; they're definitely worth mentioning.

10. The villain doesn't go to jail.

I guess the steel cage was punishment enough for Motato?

Does this veggie town have a prison, or a police force or sheriff at least?

9. LarryBoy doesn't have a butler anymore?!

In the original series (Veggietales), LarryBoy had a tech savvy butler named Alfred (Archibald) Asparagus.




That was one of the best parts of the LarryBoy series. So, it's sad that Veggietales In the House decided to ditch the butler concept and make Archibald as the veggie town's mayor/informant.


The two still communicate with each other, but it's just not the same.

8. Do Motato's radishes remind you of anything?

Just so we're clear: these radish minions have little to no personality outside of being in cahoots with Motato. Even though they get very little screen time, you still get to see them take on LarryBoy.
If you watch their fight scene, the radishes are being tossed around and thrown all over the place without a scratch. I would like to propose a theory

(may or may not be true, but I'll take a stab at it): I think the radishes may have been inspired by the Angry Birds game.

I mean, think about it: they're thrown all over the place; they come in packs; and they're easy for LarryBoy to handle. Maybe I'm reading too deeply into this one, but it's just a thought.

7. Ichabeezer and Motato are voiced by the same actor.

This came to a surprise to me, because I found it hard to believe that Rob Paulsen (voice actor) can be two people in the same scene: going from a crabby old guy, to an authentic and obnoxious Brit accented villain.


-It's like a one-man show, almost.

-At first, I thought there was a casting call to be the voice actor for Motato, but after reading the end credits, I was baffled. Either way, Motato sounds obnoxious as is.

6. Pa Grape is not in this episode.

Pa Grape is usually in this show, because he's usually the one giving moral advice to anyone that's faced with a problem. It didn't really affect how I saw this episode, but I thought I point this out.

5. Dr. Blowhole Symbolism?
Motato rides a segway that was given to Ichabeezer previously.

He starts riding the segway as soon as he kidnaps Ichabeezer.
-Does Motato remind you of another villain?

That's right. This villain may have been inspired by Dr. Blowhole. Dr. Blowhole is known for moving around on a segway, because (obviously) he's a dolphin. That's a legitimate excuse to use a segway on dry land.

In Motato's case, Motato is just a lazy bastard, except when he uses the segway to fly after LarryBoy.
I may be reading too deeply into this one overlooked thing, but it's just my theory.

4. Ichabeezer's thanking LarryBoy for saving him is bulls***.

At the end of the episode, as LarryBoy is dropping off Ichabeezer, Ichabeezer says to him, "Don't tell anyone this but... thank you."

For me, I wasn't convinced that he was grateful for LarryBoy rescuing him, because throughout the episode, Ichabeezer is yelling at people and telling them to "get off [his] lawn!" Not once did Ichabeezer say: "I shouldn't have been hard on LarryBoy. He was only trying to help me" or "I should stop yelling at people for a change, because that's rude." Nope. We get a self-centered jerk who thinks he above anyone else.
-This is why you don't take the "respect your elders" motto too seriously, kids.

3. Are french fries lethal?
During the fight scene between hero and villain, Motato uses a gun to shoot at LarryBoy. And what does this gun shoot out? French fries.

That's probably why Motato made that bad pun: "Good fry" (him saying "Good bye"). And when the french fries are being launched at LarryBoy, the fries are driven through a chair and the walls... and narrowly misses a radish minion.
-Well, people always say fried foods can kill a person...

2. What is Motato's motivation?
When LarryBoy is rescuing Ichabeezer, you get a glimpse of a throne.

Even though this is Motato's first appearance in the series, the throne chair seemed so random. However, you can't help but wonder what this bad guy's motivation is.

Does he want to take over the veggie town as overlord? Most likely, because villains with thrones in their lairs are usually seeking world domination.
-However, you can make the argument that some villains don't make the obvious world-domination symbolism by having a throne chair on standby.

Just look at a villain like Dr. Blowhole;


nowhere in his lair is there a throne sitting around.
So just think of this fact as just another villain cliche.
And this leads me to...

1. Motato's lair
Okay. I want you to get a good look at this villain's lair and tell me if it reminds you of anything...


Ready for the answer?
It's a bathroom.
Why? Well, when I first saw this episode, I didn't realize what the lair actually looked like until I viewed it a few more times. In the third viewing, it dawned on me that this place was a bathroom, because of the following things:
1. the purple toilet (that should've been a dead giveaway)

2. the toliet paper (where Motato slides from at some point)

-Well, talk about a shitty villain... (pause) XD LOL
Well, to be fair, this show is set inside a house. So it's like a world within the house. For example, Ichabeezer's mansion is actually a human-sized couch.

So, in the case of Motato, his lair is a human bathroom. Creative, yet odd.

So yes, this was my Top 10 Overlooked Things about the Veggietales in the House episode "For The Honor of LarryBoy."

Whatsoever Critic
Sources:
Veggietales in the House
Angry Birds
Penguins of Madagascar
Nintendo DSi (for pointing and circling things on photos)

Courtesy: Big Idea/DreamWorks; Rovio Entertainment; and DreamWorks Animation. (Plus, courtesy: Nintendo DSi)

No comments:

Post a Comment