Sunday, October 19, 2014

"Downton Abbey" Season 1 Review

Hi, I'm the Whatsoever Critic. I review just about anything.

Like I said before in this blog, I'm just getting into seeing Downton Abbey.

This past week, I finished watching Season 1 of the series.
So what are my thoughts?

I think the show has potential, in regards to how watchable it is.

Now, I'm going to have some spoilers, so be prepared: if you haven't watched Season 1 yet, then read another blog post or visit my Youtube channel now.

Ready?


Season 1 was more of a introductory season (obviously). Here, we're introduced to so many characters.
-Believe me, there are too many to count.
What I like about the multiple characters is that you get to choose who to love and who to hate.
-Seriously, Hot Topic doesn't sell merchandise of this show yet?

Anyway, the Grantham family is what you would call a typical family. We have Lord Grantham, the head of the household that commands authority but still possesses a heart. We also have Cora, Grantham's wife, who would usually stand by him. We even have the three daughters Mary, Edith, and Sybil.
Mary- She's the oldest daughter. At first, I was questioning her character. It's like she wants to fall in love with cousin Matthew, but she's too busy with her ego. Usually, she's paying the price for her ego.
Edith- I would consider her a minor character. However, the show itself makes her that way. I don't know; I kinda felt sorry for her, because people, including her family, don't seem to pay any attention to her, as far as relationships go.
Sybil- I never thought that the youngest daughter would be more stronger than her other two sisters. She sees herself going far in life; she's part of the feminist movement; and she works hard to reach her goals. I see her as something that this world needs: a hard worker that wants to make a difference in the world.

As far as the servants of Downton Abbey, I was split down the middle.
First, I'll tell you my pros, before I say of my cons.
I am pro:
1. Mr. Bates- He seems like the nicest guy. I understand that he has a somber back-story, but I kept hoping that he and Anna would hook up despite it. I mean, he and Anna are a perfect match. It's like one of those romance stories, where one partner has a tragic back-story and doesn't want to share it until they begin to trust the other partner.
2. Mr. Carson- He's the stern leader that isn't to be made a fool. We'll really need someone like him for this series, because there are some nutcases in the servants department, I can assure you.
3. Mrs. Hughes- She's also a stern leader; and, like Mr. Carson, she doesn't mess around.
4. Anna- Imagine Disney's Cinderella reincarnated into a servant of Downton Abbey. Well, that's this woman. She's kind; she's understanding; and I like how she's in love with Mr. Bates. (Again, they belong together.)
5. Gwen- She's one of the servants of Downton Abbey. She hopes to become a secretary in this season. Throughout this season, she pursues that dream, with the help of Lady Sybil.

Now, as far as cons go, I'm NOT fond of:
1. Thomas- Think of him as either Scar (The Lion King) or Jenner (The Secret of NIMH) in this series. To me, the first impression of this guy was: "He's bad  news." And he proves to be bad news. (Not that there's a problem with him being gay.) I'm talking about him trying to get Mr. Bates into trouble, and him scheming to do more than just be a footman. He seeks power, and isn't afraid to use blackmail against anyone.
2. Mrs. O'Brien- She's Thomas's confidant, of course. I didn't like her either. She too, is known to blackmail and deceive. End of story.

So, since I'm still new to this series, I will hold off on the nitpicking. In fact, in the future, after viewing the whole series, I will do something like a Top 10 list for the episode I liked and the ones I questioned a lot.

Overall, Season 1 was okay. I mean, I understand that this season was just trying to pave way for more drama. In fact, in the season finale, the episode ends with Lord Grantham receiving a letter saying that the country is at war. (Again, spoilers if you haven't seen the show.)

So, next time I talk about Downton Abbey, I will be giving my consensus on Season 2, which I'm almost done viewing.

Whatsoever Critic
Source: Downton Abbey

Courtesy: PBS/Carnival Films

No comments:

Post a Comment